[TYPES] stricter moderation...?

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 22 12:37:27 EST 2005

I am also very much in favor of a slightly stricter moderation
policy, though I'm aware that it may be difficult to find a policy
that is both desirable and implementable with a reasonable amount of
Stephanie's energy.  I liked the old policy that Phil describes, but
I think it got left by the wayside when we transitioned to the
Mailman software from the older ad hoc system: AFAIK, Mailman doesn't
provide an easy way for the moderator to send a message back to a
poster saying "I'm rejecting your post but I'd be happy to accept one
with a preamble explaining its relevance to the list."

One piece of anecdotal evidence that more moderation would be better
(for me) is that I discovered a few months ago that, when messages
arrives via Types, my instinctive reaction was annoyance rather than
interest ("Oh, here's more spam...").  Since then I've been sending
Types stuff to a separate mailbox that I look at only rarely.  This
seems a shame.

Cutting down on the number of random announcements might also help
people feel encouraged to post questions and start discussions (to
keep the volume from going too low :-).

Regards,

       Benjamin