[TYPES] Splitting types into types-announce and types-discuss

Nathaniel Gray n8gray at caltech.edu
Thu Dec 29 19:54:19 EST 2005

On Dec 22, 2005, at 2:54 PM, Stephanie Weirich wrote:

> types-list]
>
> * I am attracted by the idea of separating the list into an
> announcement version and a discussion version. The best way would be
> for me to just sort the messages as they come in to the appropriate
> list, but I don't think mailman supports that feature.

I strongly support this suggestion.  I, like many others it would
seem, filter this list into its own mailbox.  This mailbox gets
scanned every few months when I'm looking for a place to submit a
paper or wondering about conference deadlines.  I would argue that
this is the natural usage pattern for a list dedicated to conference
announcements, which seems to have become the de-facto focus of this
list.  Such a list is a valuable thing, but not something I'm
interested in reading every day.  On the other hand, I *would* be
interested in reading "types-discuss" on a daily basis.

As for the question of how to implement the split, I don't think it's
too much to ask that people send their messages to the appropriate
list.  I would simply start rejecting the conference announcements
with a message directing the sender to the "announce" list.  I can
see that this might be too draconian, however.

Cheers,
-n8