[TYPES] Paper announcement: Syntactic Logical Relations for Polymorphic and Recursive Types

Karl Crary crary at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 20 16:01:52 EST 2007

I am pleased to announce the availability of the paper "Syntactic
Logical Relations for Polymorphic and Recursive Types" at the following
URLs:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~crary/papers/2007/relns.pdf
or
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rwh/papers/polyrecrelns/gdpfs.pdf

As always, comments are welcome.

Karl Crary (for myself and Robert Harper)

----------

Syntactic Logical Relations for Polymorphic and Recursive Types
Karl Crary and Robert Harper

  The method of logical relations assigns a relational interpretation to
types
  that expresses operational invariants satisfied by all terms of a
type.  The
  method is widely used in the study of typed languages, for example to
  establish contextual equivalences of terms.  The chief difficulty in using
  logical relations is to establish the existence of a suitable relational
  interpretation.  We extend work of Pitts and Birkedal and Harper on
  constructing relational interpretations of types to polymorphism and
recursive
  types, and apply it to establish parametricity and representation
independence
  properties in a purely operational setting.  We argue that, once the
existence
  of a relational interpretation has been established, it is
straightforward to
  use it to establish properties of interest.