[TYPES] Two-tier reviewing process

Dan Ghica d.r.ghica at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Jan 29 09:55:42 EST 2010

On 29 Jan 2010, at 14:28, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> Of course, Benjamin's and Steve's discussion about Expertise vs
> Confidence
> indicates that we simply have way too little time to evaluate
> conference
> submissions fairly and robustly -- so why does this community insist
> on
> using this brittle and unreliable mechanism to evaluate scientific
> work?

I think the lack of time is only one problem.

For me there are two problems at least as serious:

1. Omitting proofs because of 'lack of space'. I see no reason why the
PC does not demand that all details of all proofs are included in an
appendix, not to appear in the printed proceedings but to be part of
the refereeing process (perhaps even to be included in the online
proceedings). Maybe we cannot check the proofs in details, but we can
check a lot of things about the proofs, especially their existence.
There are important papers out there, with high citation counts and
fairly important results where the full proofs have never appeared.
This is a problem.

2. Non-reproducible experiments. I had to referee papers about tools
that could not be downloaded running on examples that could not be
released. Even if the experimental data looks interesting, is it
meaningful? This can be solved as well. For a paper that I submitted
once I set up a virtual machine image with my tool running, loaded
with all the examples, which could be reproduced at the push of a
button. It's not that hard.

Thanks to all the contributors for an interesting a rather therapeutic
discussion.

Dan

Dan Ghica
Lecturer / ARF