[TYPES] Types for Open Terms ?

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Thu Oct 13 11:23:54 EDT 2011

I have been looking to find relevant work on types for open terms, i.e.
types for terms with free variables which are *not* in an environment.

I have been able to find some work by Westbrook [1], Geuvers and Jojgov
[2], Geuvers, Krebbers, McKinna and Wiedijk [3] directly on this, as
well as depply inside Sacerdoti Coen's thesis [4].  It appears that and
Nanevski, Pfenning and Pientka [5]'s contextual modal type theory is
"related" (but scary in its complexity...), as compared say with
Rhiger's much simpler system [6] which seems to offer similar benefits
as far as my needs go.

What have I missed?

Jacques

[1] http://www.divms.uiowa.edu/~astump/papers/tfp06-free-var-types.pdf