[Unison-hackers] improving backups to delete files

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Sep 3 06:43:19 EDT 2022

unison has a "backups" pref to keep copies of changed/deleted files, and
this is documented to make backups, keeping N versions (the default is
2), but not to remove those eventually.

There was a request on github to do something better, which I closed as
not meeting the standards at:
  https://github.com/bcpierce00/unison/wiki/Reporting-Bugs-and-Feature-Requests#feature-requests
and pointed the submitter at this list.

It's not clear to me what the right behavior would be -- and any
automated deletion risks trouble.  I'm just mentioning it here in case
someone would like to figure out what the approach should be, comparing
it to the approaches of similar problems, and wants to write code, docs,
and tests, and submit a PR.