[TYPES] Latex input mode

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Fri May 27 11:13:28 EDT 2005

apostolo at obelix.ee.duth.gr wrote:

> First it is not a Linux specific problem: All OSes support common font
> formats. Now, a suitable font is Free Monospaced from the Free
> Software Foundation.

    Like Giuseppe I do not want to spam the list  further as this
becomes increasingly offtopic, but the key point in my original
statement was that there is a lack of "quality" monospaced fonts. While
I admire and appreciate what the Freefont project has done, "Free
Monospaced" still needs quite a bit of work before is as usuable "on
screen" as some of the more mature monospaced typefaces that concentrate
upon the ASCII or the Latin-1 code sets.  That said, to my knowledge
there are almost no commerical monospace fonts that concentrate on
covering a wide range of glyphs either.  There is "Everson Mono", a
shareware font, but my impression of the overall quality was that it was
not much better than "Free Monospaced".  I have not tried comparing
their respective coverage of glyphs.

    However, there is also the debate as to whether continuing to use
monospaced typefaces, rather than proportional typefaces, makes sense in
modern software.  At least, those of you out there are designing new
tools ought to keep this in mind.

--
[Geoff Washburn|geoffw at cis.upenn.edu|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]