[TYPES] stricter moderation...?

Carl Eastlund cce at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Dec 22 18:25:40 EST 2005

On 12/22/05, David J. Pym <d.j.pym at bath.ac.uk> wrote:
> Obviously, I would quite agree that one would like to avoid
> too many mere announcements too far off topic. But once
> was there is moderation one never knows what is beng blocked
> for what reasons. I would guess that most people will act with
> the best of intentions, but even then one sees problems.
> I'll take a little in spam in return for transparency.
>
> The problem with free speech is that one can't have just a bit less
> of it.

I don't think this is a question of free speech.  No one is
questioning anyone's right to say certain things, just whether they
want it coming to their inbox under the heading of the types mailing
list.  Anyone with a viewpoint that gets moderated away is welcome to
find an unmoderated list or start their own.

For my own reading and posting habits, I think separating
announcements from discussion will make me much more likely to keep
track of the discussion threads rather than banishing them to my email
archive along with all the announcements.  This may not be the case
for many others, of course.  I'm not sure I have a strong opinion on
moderation, I guess I'm not sure what's currently being held at bay.

--Carl